Information We Collect
- Your name, contact information, payment card numbers, and card transaction information when you use Visa Checkout.
- Technical information about your browser and access device.
Core Ways We Use and Share Information
- We may contact you about Visa Checkout, service updates, and new Visa Checkout features.
- We share information with the issuer of your payment card and other participants in the payment network for your card in order to process your transactions using Visa Checkout.
- We may share information with the financial institution that issued your card to operate other services accessible through Visa Checkout.
- We share your payment card number with merchants you pay with Visa Checkout and their transaction service providers.
- We share other information with merchants you pay with Visa Checkout and their service providers.
- If you agree, we may invite you to sign up for other Visa services.
- We use your information to provide, secure, operate and improve Visa Checkout.
- To close your Visa Checkout account, follow the instructions in the Visa Checkout Customer Support section.
Concerns or suggestions about privacy? Please contact us using the contact information provided below.
Information We Collect
"Personal Information"-also called "Personal Data"-is information which can be used to identify you as an individual. We collect Personal Information any time you use any service or functionality of Visa Checkout, including the function that allows you to continue as a guest. The Personal Information we collect includes information that you provide us directly and that may be provided by the financial institution which issued your payment card ("Issuer"). The collection of all of the Personal Information described herein is necessary for your use of the Visa Checkout service. This information includes:
- Your name
- Contact information (including your email, phone, and mailing address)
- Payment card information
In some cases, Visa Checkout may integrate with other services or functionality your Issuer offers, such as your Issuer's own alerts service. Where that occurs, we and your Issuer may collect and share information (such as your mobile phone number for an alerts service) needed to make the services accessible through your Visa Checkout account.
We collect other information about your use of Visa Checkout, such as
- How you use the Visa Checkout services and website
- IP address and information about the device you use to access Visa Checkout
Visa Checkout may get information about you from other sources, such as
- Third parties who are authorized to give us information about you
- Other Visa services you use if we are authorized to do so
We collect or compile non-Personal Information about Visa Checkout users such as enrollment numbers and demographic group information on an aggregated and anonymized basis. We may share any non-Personal Information with third parties for any lawful purpose.
How we use the information we collect
We primarily use the information we collect to provide the Visa Checkout service to you and for your use of the services. This includes using your information to:
- Fulfill your requests and complete transactions, including sending text message and email notifications to you
- Send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies
- Analyze usage and generally improve the Visa Checkout service
- Ensure the security of the Visa Checkout service, prevent fraud and enforce our policies
- Help personalize
- Your Visa Checkout experience
- Other Visa services you use
- Offers and promotions we deliver to you
- Contact you about Visa Checkout including new features and services
- Contact you about other Visa services, if you agree
- Perform other activities with your consent
- Conduct data analysis and audits, develop new products, identify usage trends, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and operate and expand our business activities
How we share Personal Information
We will share your Personal Information only as described in this policy and any supplemental privacy policies for other Visa Checkout services. Specifically, we may share your Personal Information
- With merchants you pay through Visa Checkout and their service providers in order to complete your transactions, resolve disputes, help prevent fraud and provide customer service. We will share your payment account number only with merchants and their transaction service providers. Please note that these parties may have their own privacy policies governing how they will use and disclose Personal Information. We recommend that you review the privacy policies of the parties with whom you interact to learn about their practices.
- With the Issuer of your card in order to process your transactions, to operate Issuer services accessible through Visa Checkout, to report how you use your payment card in Visa Checkout, and to enable your Issuer to provide customer service, usage analysis, fraud prevention, and Visa Checkout related marketing (based on your preferences with your Issuer). This may include information about whether you have loaded or removed a card from Visa Checkout and if you have chosen to close your Visa Checkout account. It does not include information about how you use your payment cards in Visa Checkout which are issued by a different financial institution. Please note that your Issuer may have its own privacy policies governing how it will use and disclose Personal Information. We recommend that you review your Issuer's privacy policies to learn about its practices.
- With companies and vendors that help us to operate our business. We require that they protect your information and only use it for that purpose.
- To comply with law or other legal obligations such as responding to subpoenas, including laws and other legal obligations outside your country of residence.
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence.
- To protect our rights or property, or that of our users.
- To investigate, prevent, report, or take action regarding potential or suspected illegal activities, fraud, threats to the personal safety of any person, or violations of the Visa Checkout terms and conditions.
- With other companies that are controlled directly or indirectly by Visa as allowed by law.
- For a proposed or completed business transaction involving the sale of Visa (or all or part of our business).
- With your consent.
You can configure your browser to reject all cookies, or to notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser is different, so check the Help menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie and privacy preferences. However, if you reject cookies, your use of Visa Checkout may be impaired.
You can close your Visa Checkout account by following the instructions in the Customer Support section of the Visa Checkout website. Once your account is closed, you will no longer be able to access your account online. Even though your account is closed, we still may retain and use your Personal Information to comply with law, prevent fraud, resolve disputes, assist with any investigations, enforce our policies, analyze and improve the service, and take other actions as permitted by law. We will cease to retain Personal Information, or remove the means by which such Personal Information can be associated with an individual, as required by applicable law.
How you can access and edit your Personal Information
If you have a Visa Checkout account, you can review and edit your Personal Information at any time by logging in to your account. To request access to any of your Personal Information, or to make corrections to any of your Personal Information not available through an account, please contact us using our contact details provided below. We may charge you a reasonable fee for access.
If you can show that information we hold about you (if any) is not accurate, complete and up to date, we must take reasonable steps to ensure that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
How we protect your Personal Information
Visa uses firewalls and Secure Socket Layers to help protect the Personal Information we collect from you when it is being communicated to us. Our policies restrict access to Personal Information to those employees and service providers who need to know the information in order to provide you this service. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable privacy and data security laws and regulations.
How to contact Visa regarding your privacy concerns and questions
- Call us at 855.847.2032 (from the United States or Canada) or at +1 303.967.1041 (worldwide international direct dial; international calling rates apply),
- Write to us by sending a letter via mail to: Visa Chief Privacy Officer, Global Privacy Office, P.O. Box 194607, San Francisco, CA, USA 94119-4607, or
- Send us an email. Please use the appropriate address below for your country:
- Argentina: email@example.com
- Australia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brazil: email@example.com
- Canada (English): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canada (French): email@example.com
- Chile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- China: email@example.com
- Colombia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hong Kong: email@example.com
- Malaysia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mexico: email@example.com
- New Zealand: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peru: email@example.com
- Singapore: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Africa: email@example.com
- United Arab Emirates: firstname.lastname@example.org
- United States of America: email@example.com
If you have a complaint about our treatment of your Personal Information, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer using the contact details provided above. Our Chief Privacy Officer will investigate your complaint and endeavor to resolve any issue to your satisfaction.
The following Visa affiliates, service providers and/or agents may process or store your Personal Information in connection with Visa Checkout:
- Akamai Technologies, 150 Broadway, Cambridge, MA, USA 02142
- Amazon Services LLC, 410 Terry Avenue North, Seattle, WA, USA 98109
- EdgeCast Networks Inc., 2850 Ocean Park Blvd, Suite 200, Santa Monica, CA, USA 90405
- Google, Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA, USA 94043
- Optimizely, Inc., 631 Howard Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA, USA 95105
- ThreatMETRIX, Inc., 5150 El Camino Real, Suite B-21, Los Altos, CA, USA 94022
- Unica Corporation, Reservoir Place North, 170 Tracer Lane, Waltham, MA, USA 02451